SERVICES

Ansaldo unveils mega turbine

Genova - “Ansaldo Energia and Shanghai Electric have garnered yet another order from China for two class-F gas turbines, bringing overall orders to over 30 gas turbines.” Chen Xuewen, Ansaldo’s director for Asia, was in Genoa, in representation of Ansaldo’s Chinese partner, which holds a 40%-stake

Genova - “Ansaldo Energia and Shanghai Electric have garnered yet another order from China for two class-F gas turbines, bringing overall orders to over 30 gas turbines.” Chen Xuewen, Ansaldo’s director for Asia, was in Genoa, in representation of Ansaldo’s Chinese partner, which holds a 40%-stake, while Cassa Depositi e Prestiti, as majority shareholder, has the remaining 60%.

During the recent presentation of the first unit of this latest-generation gas turbine, the GT36, based on former Alstom technology, produced at Ansaldo’s Genoa Fegino facility (following the acquisition of the manufacturing line there), Mr. Chen’s words represented a clear indication to workers and authorities: Shanghai Electric confirms the soundness of the investment, and thanks to these cutting-edge turbines, Ansaldo will overcome the downturn the sector is experiencing. The two companies, explained Wuewen, are working “to improve technology and products, including machines using low calorific gas and other turbine models. We are testing the new class F and class E in China and we will also test the first GT36.”

Nicknamed “Mont Blanc”, the GT36 weighs 450 tons and generates over 500 MW of power, reaching near 800 MW in a combined cycle, and with its over 13-metre long rotor, it’s the most powerful in the world. While the complete unit is yet to be finished, the rotor was presented at the Fegino facility, with workers and civil and religious authorities in attendance. It’s been revealed that two initial mega turbines are to be used in power plants in the Shanghai area. But two are not enough, others will need to be sold: “Ansaldo’s role as a global sector leader, is making the whole city of Genoa feel its privileged position among Mediterranean cities,” said the mayor of Genoa, Marco Bucci. “I am satisfied with the high-tech work done so far,” explained Ansaldo chairman Giuseppe Zampini. “While it’s true that the markets are experiencing some difficulties, together we can overcome them.” The Archbishop of Genoa, Cardinal Angelo Bagnasco was short and direct: “We need jobs.”

Italy’s Minister of Defence, Roberta Pinotti declared that “Ansaldo operates in regions that have experienced some turbulence in recent years; the company, therefore, must have the support of the Italian State to meet its challenges.”

Pressed for time?

Get the best news of the week in your inbox

Subscribe ››