Miami - Hundreds of healthy cruise ship passengers began to disembark from the "Coral Princess" Sunday at PortMiami for their journey home. Two people on the ship died of the coronavirus and a 71-year-old man, Wilson Maa, died late Saturday night after arriving at the Port. The ship had been denied docking by three countries after it was announced that 12 people onboard had COVID-19.
Sunday, eight more people were taken to the hospital and Congressman Debbie Mucarsel-Powell now want local authorities to investigate the handling of Wilson Maa. Authorities said Maa died after waiting for hours to be evacuated from the ship after it had been finally allowed to dock Saturday in PortMiami. The coronavirus-stricken ship with 1,020 passengers and 878 crew members had been in limbo for days off the Florida coast. Maa’s family told CBS4 news partner the Miami Herald that while five others suffering from the virus were evacuated to hospitals earlier in the day, he was forced to stay aboard, breathing with the aid of a manual ventilator for several hours: “Doctor insisted that public and private hospital beds with a ventilator are not available,” Maa’s son-in-law, Jason Chien, told the Herald. “He also says the ship is running low on oxygen but are not able to get a resupply due to the governor or Miami area having a ‘lockdown’ on ambulances or something like that.” The cruise line did not respond to questions from CBS4 News.
Maa’s condition began deteriorating at around 5 p.m., according to the family, and by around 10 p.m. an ambulance finally picked up him from the ship and took him to Larkin Community Hospital’s Hialeah campus.